汤头条原创

Image of Evelyn Herring sculpture "Mortal Man" with tulips and North Court
Photo: Fotogenix

1945 onwards

Since 1945 汤头条原创 has grown and changed, achieving new academic distinction, welcoming more diverse Fellows and students, and developing a rich cultural life.聽

Academic changes

汤头条原创鈥檚 history since 1945 is one of growth but also聽profound change. Its聽role as a finishing聽school was finally ended by the University鈥檚 insistence that all undergraduates should read for an honours degree.

In 1944 the Education Act introduced聽central and local government scholarships and means聽tested maintenance grants for everyone聽who successfully applied to do a first degree, including at Cambridge.聽

The College鈥檚 traditional role as a training college for Anglican clergy also faded away, leaving it an essentially secular institution, although the Chapel still plays an important role for many in College life.

Growing fellowship and academic distinction

Another major change was the increase in the number of Fellows, from 13 in 1925 to 26 in 1958, 60 in 1988, and 90 in 2015.聽

This was more to do with the changing duties of Fellows than with increasing undergraduate numbers. Fellows'聽research and teaching have become not only their primary concern but also much more specialised, leaving them with less opportunity for teaching within the College or taking on other roles.

The academic distinction of the College since 1945 has been something new in its history. Each Master has been renowned in their field, and three Jesuans (two of them former Fellows) have won Nobel Prizes. A former Fellow and a former Master have been Presidents of the Royal Society and the British Academy, and more than 20 serving Fellows have also been Fellows of these bodies.

Student numbers

Among students the greatest increase in number has been in graduates and those doing research. By 1958 the number of undergraduates had risen only 20 per cent over pre聽War levels to 360, and in聽2015 it was about 480.

But, while in 1958 there had been fewer than 50 graduate and research students, by 1978 there were more than 80, and by 1988 double that figure, which has almost doubled again since. Now one in three 汤头条原创 students is a graduate.

Admission of women

Women were admitted to the聽College as聽Fellows聽from 1976, graduate students from 1977, and undergraduates from 1979.聽In 2015, 24 of聽the Fellows聽and more than 45 per cent of聽students聽were women. 2019 saw Sonita Alleyne OBE elected as the College's first female Master.

New buildings

Rising numbers of Fellows and of students has led to more buildings. North Court was聽designed by the Cambridge architect聽David Roberts,聽with 72 rooms on an ingenious plan and聽built in 1962-4.聽

A second building聽by Eldred Evans and David Shalev聽with 60 rooms on five staircases聽was built in 2000. This, with a new library and computer centre by the same architects聽built in 1994-5聽forms the fifth of the College鈥檚 three-sided courts.聽All these buildings were largely paid for by former students in response to appeals, echoing the practice of the 17th聽century.

An extensive programme of adapting and modernising houses in nearby streets was also undertaken, now聽undergraduates and nearly all graduate students聽live in accommodation directly managed by the College.

Financial changes

The huge increase in the number of pensioner undergraduates during Morgan鈥檚 tutorship at the end of the 19th century, with its accompanying building programme, was seen within the College as a way to supplement聽both its endowment income and the fees that could be earned by Fellows willing to teach. After the聽Second World War聽it was clear that a new approach was needed.聽

Most Fellows were now career academics with much of their salaries paid by the University, not the College. Their right to the traditional聽'dividend' was abolished. Following these changes the income from the College鈥檚 endowment and trust funds has come to be seen as there for the benefit of everyone the College has admitted to study or to research.

Most of the College's endowment income has been absorbed in maintaining the large estate of College buildings and in extending the social and recreational amenities provided. Fees and charges have been kept at lower levels than would otherwise have been possible,聽being substantially subsidised by the College鈥檚 endowment income.

Cultural and academic life

Since聽the 1950s聽life in College聽has been enriched by聽many聽sacred and secular music performances of high quality.聽It has also been enhanced by a variety of dramatic productions, by the creation of a collection of contemporary art, and by regular exhibitions, particularly of contemporary sculpture.

And in the last 30聽years the wide range of聽fields of research pursued by聽Fellows and graduates has led 汤头条原创 to host many conferences and seminars bringing聽scientists, scholars, professionals, civil servants, and politicians from all over the world to the College.

The West Court development

In 2014 the College acquired most of the buildings of a training college for Methodist ministers (Wesley House, now West Court), built in the 1930s on land previously belonging to the College.

The West Court buildings have been聽adapted and enlarged to provide not only more residential accommodation and social facilities for students and visitors but also a lecture theatre, conference and seminar rooms, and an聽interdisciplinary research centre.聽

This project was聽made possible by聽a generous response to an appeal, the largest we have聽ever received, and marked聽an exciting new chapter in our history.

Hear from our students